Fireside is currently closed for submissions.
Fireside holds a submissions period for each upcoming issue of Fireside Quarterly. In 2020, Fireside will be open to submissions for short stories during the following periods:
August 24, 2020 to August 28, 2020
Submissions period for the Summer 2021 Issue
November 30, 2020 to December 4, 2020
Submissions period for the Autumn 2021 Issue
During open submissions periods, there will be a form on this page for uploading your submission.
We have no further submissions dates to announce for the moment. Please subscribe to our newsletter if you’d like to be the first to find out about our future submissions dates.
We welcome previously unpublished work (‘published’ includes work posted on Patreon or on a blog) in English or Spanish from all writers anywhere in the world, and we are interested in seeing work from people of color, LGBTQIA people, disabled people, members of religious minorities, and people outside the United States. We strongly encourage submissions from people of those backgrounds, and all others whom traditional publishing has historically excluded.
If you have any questions about how to submit, please email us at: [email protected].
We use an online form to gather submissions, but we understand that this may not be universally accessible to disabled people. If you have questions related to accessibility, please email us at [email protected] with the subject line: Accessibility Query. Accessibility Queries should only contain a request to submit by alternate means, and should not include a submission.
Any submissions sent via email will be deleted unread.
We accept short stories up to 3,000 words. Our budget allows us to pay for up to 7,000 words per month, which means we are always going to buy more shorter fiction than longer stories.
Please read the following guidelines. During open submissions periods, there will be a form below for uploading your submission.
- Stories in English or Spanish
- Stories that have never been published before.
- Short stories up to 3,000 words.
- Stories of any genre.
- Submissions from anywhere in the world, from all kinds of voices.
- One Docx file set in a comfortably-sized, legible font.
- Cover letters are optional, but they are great places to tell us about your connection to the material, personal background or identity, and to include content warnings if your story deals with difficult subject matter.
- Only one story per author — no multiple submissions. (But it is fine to resubmit a story you’ve submitted previously to us for another issue.)
- Sending your story to other venues (simultaneous submissions) is okay, but we ask that you please withdraw immediately if you take another offer by emailing [email protected].
Please don’t send us:
- Stories that promote fascism, racism, sexism, homophobia, ableism, etc.
- Stories longer than 3,000 words (please don’t email to ask if you’re the special exception — you’re not).
- PDF files
- Stories attached to or pasted into the body of an email. Submissions sent via email will be deleted unread.
- Stories that use intellectual property that is under copyright (we enjoy fanfic, but we don’t publish it).
What to expect from us:
- Fireside acquires English language rights in print, digital, and audio formats. Please see our Story Contract Boilerplate for the full text of our contract.
- First responses (either a rejection or a second round notice) within approximately 30 days from the end of our reading period.
- Payment of 12.5 cents per word
Fireside commissions original artwork for specific stories. If you send us a link to your portfolio using this form, we will be happy to add it to our roster, and if a story comes up for which we think you’d be a good fit, we’ll be in touch.
What to expect from us:
- Fireside acquires worldwide rights in print and digital formats, and ownership of all original art remains with the Artist. Please see our Illustration Contract Boilerplate for the full text of our contract.
Fireside is closed to submissions for poetry. We don’t have upcoming dates to announce.
Fireside is closed to submissions for nonfiction. We don’t have upcoming dates to announce.
Novels and Novellas
Fireside is closed to submissions for novels and novellas. We don’t have upcoming dates to announce.